Sometimes when we suffer from depression, we need a little help. It could be a natural concoction of herbs, or a binaural beats compilation that helps to rewire our brains. It can be a walk in the park or a chat with a good friend. While you are re-setting your happiness point to a new high, here are 21 things you can be happy about right now:
- Exercise. Not only does exercise have cumulative positive effects for the aesthetics of your body, it also helps to create mood-boosting hormones which help you stay upbeat and energetic. The last thing you should do if you are feeling down is to sit on your sofa watching television or playing video games all day. Download some sound healing to your MP3 player and take a walk. It will shift your mood from bad to better, right away.
- Smile. When you turn your lips up and crinkle the eyes, a specific set of small motor skills must be utilized, and these affect your brain in a positive manner, setting up a positive pattern for future smiles! People also respond to you differently when you smile; they become more open and friendly, and who among us couldn’t use a little more of that when we are feeling out of sorts?
- Be around people. While some of us need to spend more time alone, instead of constantly juggling a million errands and chores, responsibilities, and goals, it can help to spend some leisurely time with friends. If no one is around to hang out with you, go to a public place like a library, park or museum where you can bump in to other people and meet someone new. Interacting with others is a key component to our overall happiness as human beings.
- Take time to sit in silence. You can call it meditation. You can call it contemplation. You can call it allowing ‘the stillness’ to take you over. Whatever you call it, it is good for boosting your happiness when practiced over time. In fact, some of the happiest people in the world are those who meditate. It has been proven with MRI (brain imaging), but you can subjectively observe a happy, calm, peaceful person and see that their time sitting in silence helped to create an attitude of allowing and observing. This means that fewer things get you down or upset you because you just observe what is without struggling against it. Its a whole different mindset waiting for you.
- Eat some chocolate. While raw cacao is the best since it doesn’t have refined sugar, a good dark chocolate bar is a great way to instantly change your mood. Chocolate is full of antioxidants like magnesium which promote chemical balance in the brain for energy and increased happiness.
- Smother it with honey. Honey is another sweet way to boost your mood. You can eat it raw and organic and smother it on just about anything. Naturally occurring compounds in honey called quercetin and kaempferol help to rid the body of free radicals and boost your mood. They also reduce inflammation in the brain, so you will feel smarter, and more full of joy.
- Do something good for someone else. Often our bad moods are due to the tendency to ruminate about our own ‘stuff’ too much. Switch this narcissistic viewpoint and do a good deed for someone else. It will change how you view the world and yourself.
- Drink more water. It flushes out all the guck that makes you feel blue.
- Get more sleep. Getting less than eight full hours of uninterrupted sleep can cause you to eat more and feel agitated and anxious. Good rest is essential to combating depression.
- Smell good smells. There are aromatherapy oils made just for boosting your mood, but you can also cut up some lemons, limes, and oranges and allow the natural smells of citrus influence your mood in a positive way.
- Listen to music. It is a universal language that can shift our mental patterns almost immediately. Listen to a new song or an old favorite to feel better. If you feel like dancing, do it!